Agios Georgios, Rotonda
The Rotunda is part of the imperial complex built in 306 AD as the Pantheon (or mausoleum) for the emperor Galerius.
As the name suggests the monument is a circular building with a dome 24 meters in diameter. Theodosius the Great turned it into a church during his reign for many years was the church of Thessalonica.
The church was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman Empire in 1591, and added a minaret which is still preserved and is the only one in Thessaloniki. The Rotunda owns some perfect and remarkable mosaics. Today operates as a museum and there is no regular holly service (except for some very important dates).
See the nearest sights:
IncludedAgios Georgios, Rotonda
Bus stop 1: White Tower
Bus stop 2: Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
Bus stop 3: Agia Sofia
Bus stop 4: Agios Dimitrios
Bus stop 5: Byzantine Castles
Bus stop 6: Arch of Galerius (Kamara)
Bus stop 7: Aristotelous Square
Bus stop 8: Port of Thessaloniki
The ticket price does not include entry to the archaeological sites - sights. SightSeeing Thessaloniki is not responsible for opening hours and access to archaeological sites or other sights.