Art Gallery Of The Society For Macedonian Studies
The Gallery was founded in 1975 and is the first organized art exhibition in “Visual Arts” in the city which has as its main goal and purpose to promote and disseminate modern Greek art, particularly that of Northern Greece.
The exhibition is housed on the top floor of the National Theatre of Northern Greece, into the building which was designed by the architect Basilis Cassandras and is located directly opposite the White Tower on the seafront.
The collection includes more than 400 works, mainly paintings, sculptures, engravings, and mostly by artists from Thessaloniki and Macedonia, although there are also works of great artists from all over Greece and elsewhere.
The works of foreign artists are chosen based on their relationship with the city meaning that their work should present monuments and landscapes of Thessaloniki.
Most of the works have been donated, some purchased and a large number of projects came from donations.
In early 1999 the report was completed and exhibits increased number of works from the Collection Papanakou
The Gallery gives a completely satisfactory picture of the basic directions of Visual Arts in northern Greece, as well as the development of Modern Greek art since 1850.
Some of artists hosted are:
Tassos Kyriazopoulos, Spyros Vassiliou, Thalia Flora Karavia, Nick Sachinis, ÉmileGerlach, George Apotsos Costas Karanos, Anna Christoforidou, Kyriakos Kampadakis and St. Kilessopoulos.
The gallery extends its activity organizing personal and group exhibitions for the promotion of contemporary art.
See the nearest sights:
IncludedArt Gallery Of The Society For Macedonian Studies
Bus stop 1: White Tower
Bus stop 2: Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
Bus stop 3: Agia Sofia
Bus stop 4: Agios Dimitrios
Bus stop 5: Byzantine Castles
Bus stop 6: Arch of Galerius (Kamara)
Bus stop 7: Aristotelous Square
Bus stop 8: Port of Thessaloniki
The ticket price does not include entry to the archaeological sites - sights. SightSeeing Thessaloniki is not responsible for opening hours and access to archaeological sites or other sights.